A delicious take on the classic, where putting in a little more work pays off big time.
- 400g Ray Wings trimmed and cut in strips
- 4 large Red Sarpo Mira floury Potatoes (cut chunky)
- 100g Cornflour
- 150g Plain Flour
- Sparkling Water (100ml approx)
- 250g Frozen Peas defrosted
- 50ml water
- 10g Suger
- 30g Butter
- 1 Sheet of Nori Seaweed Paper (oven toasted and ground to powder)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayo
- 2 Teaspoons Gherkins chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Capers Chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Shallot finely Diced
- 3 Teaspoons chopped Parsley
- Salt, Pepper, vinegar to taste
For the Triple Cooked Chips (can be done in advance and in larger batches)
- Place the chips into a bowl under running water for 2 minutes to remove some of the starch. Place a pan with the chips and one litre of water over a medium heat and simmer until the chips are almost cooked 8-10 minutes depending on size.
- Carefully remove the cooked chips and place them on a cooling rack to dry out. Then place in the fridge for at least 45 minutes. Heat your deep-fat fryer to 140°C.
- Fry the chips in small batches until a light crust forms around 7 minutes remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper and return to the fridge they will keep for 3 days like this in an airtight container.
- Put the potatoes on a cooling rack and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour. (At this stage, if you don't want to cook and serve immediately, the chips can be kept in the fridge for 3 days.
For the Peas & Tartare Sauce:
- Cook half the peas in the water, butter, sugar and a splash of vinegar for 5 minutes blend or crush to a mash, add the rest of the peas and season with salt and pepper, keep warm
- Mix the mayo, parsley, capers, gherkins, shallot, a squeeze of lemon juice together and season with salt & pepper.
For the Batter:
Mix 100g cornflour & 100g flour add the sparkling water till the batter is light not watery if its watery add a teaspoon of cornflour till its corrected
- After the chips have been 30 Minutes in the fridge turn up your deep fryer to 180°C and fry the chips until golden & Crispy. Drain on Kitchen paper and season with sea salt & vinegar (optional) keep hot.
- Season the ray wings with the nori seaweed powder and dredge in the remaining flour, shake off the excess and coat in the batter fry at 180 in the deep fat fryer till golden in colour 3 or 4 minutes.
- Serve with the triple cooked chips, peas, tartare sauce and lemon wedges.