A perfect veggie supper!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 50g fresh ginger
- 2tsp black mustard seeds
- 4tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g puy lentils
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2tsp sugar
- Medium bunch fresh coriander
- 1 Lime
- 2lbs sweet potatoes (about 6 medium sized)
- 1tsp maple syrup
- Finely chop the garlic,onion, and ginger or blitz in the food processor.
- Place the mustard seeds in a heavy based pan over a medium heat.Once they begin to 'pop' add the oil and the onion mix.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onion is softened.Add the spices and mix well, cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the lentils, stir to combine well. Pour over the tomatoes, coconut milk and add the sugar.
- Put the lid on and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are done.
- Meanwhile peel and chop the sweet potato into large chunks. Place in a medium pan and half fill with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft but not mushy.Drain and mash well with the butter and maple syrup.
- Chop the coriander and fold into the lentils. Spoon the lentil mixture into a large oven proof dish, top with the mashed sweet potato and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C until piping hot. Serve with lime wedges.