The ultimate comfort food, tuck into this rich and nourishing chicken pie.
- A tablespoon of rapeseed oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic , peeled and finely chopped.
- 4 chicken fillets, cut into 4
- 160 g mixed mushrooms sliced
- 100 ml white wine
- 250 g crème fraiche
- A dessert spoon of djion mustard
- A tablespoon of chopped tarragon or thyme (optional)
- 375 g Block of puff pastry defrosted
- I small egg beaten with a few tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Place a 23cm (9 inch) ovenproof non-stick frying pan on a high heat pour in 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil, when the oil gets hot add the butter, when the butter is melted and sizzling add the chicken to the pan and seal until golden, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and golden, then add the mushrooms and cook until they soften. Add the chicken back into the pan, then turn up the heat and add the wine, allow the wine to reduce and stir in the crème fraiche and mustard, add the tarragon or thyme.
- Check for seasoning and then remove from the heat.
- Roll out the pastry so it's a little bigger than the pan, then place it over the filling pushing it into the edges. Using a sharp knife, criss – cross the pastry, then brush the pastry with egg wash. Bake at the bottom of the oven for 20 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Serve with some buttered carrots.