You won't regret making your own pesto over the shop-bought variety. It has so much more flavour and vibrancy that you may never buy it again.
- 50g (2oz) basil leaves
- 30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra to serve
- 50g (2oz) pine nuts, plus extra to serve
- 1 large garlic clove
- 85ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 300g (10oz) frozen peas
- 500g (1lb 2oz) fresh tagliatelle
- In a food processor blitz the basil with the Parmesan, pine nuts and garlic, season well with salt and pepper and gradually whizz in the oil until you have a glossy pesto.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the courgettes for 2–3 minutes until lightly coloured. Add the frozen peas and allow to defrost and warm through.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 2–3 minutes, then drain and add to the pan of veg along with the pesto. Serve with a scattering of pine nuts and Parmesan.