Crisp and cheesy, this Italian-inspired gratin is the perfect autumn warmer.
- 4 chicken breasts, slice each one into 5 pieces
- 150g Parmesan
- 1 tablesoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of thyme leaves, plus a few whole sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 large pinch of black pepper
- 200ml cream
- 300g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
- A cup of plain granola (toasted granola with no fruit added)
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Trim off the fennel stalks and cut each bulb lengthways in half. Cut each half into slices 1.5 cm thick.
- Place in a large bowl with the olive oil, thyme leaves, garlic, salt and pepper and toss together. Place in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Put the chicken into a bowl and stir in the mustard to coat the chicken, then add half the parmesan and stir again. Add the cooled fennel and mix through.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish and pour the cream over the top of the fennel and chicken. Lay the tomatoes on top with some thyme. Mix the granola with the grated Parmesan and scatter evenly on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbling and golden.