"If hot dogs lived in the ocean, this is what they would look and taste like," Liam Charles says of this invention - his take on a traditional favourite.
- For the crabby patties:
- 240g white crab meat
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 30g fresh coriander, leaves finely chopped
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 2tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
For the prawns:
- 150g raw king prawns
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp garlic granules
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the lime jalapeño mayo:
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 6tbsp mayo
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 4 large hot dog buns, split in half lengthways and lightly toasted
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
For the crabby patties:
- Bung the crab, spring onions and half the coriander into a large bowl.
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over medium heat, then tip them into the bowl of crab.
- Add the breadcrumbs along with the egg yolks, season with salt and pepper, and give it a light mix.
- Shape the mixture into 12 patties, pop them on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
For the prawns:
- Mix the prawns in a bowl with the oil and spices and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add the prawns and fry until they become pink and are cooked through, then remove them from the pan.
Back to the patties:
- Lightly dust your crab patties with flour, place the frying pan back over the heat, add the oil then add half the patties and fry them gently over medium-low heat for three to four minutes on each side until golden.
- Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil, then fry the remaining patties.
- For the mayo:
Mix the jalapeño with the mayo, lime and lemon in a bowl and set to one side.
- Spread each bun with some jalapeño mayo followed by a couple of slices of mango, three crab patties, then some of the prawns.
- Drizzle over more of the jalapeño mayo and top with the remaining prawns.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the coriander and finish off with a cheeky squeeze of lime.