This baked hake with spring vegetables and lemon butter makes the most of asparagus season.
- 4 fillets of hake
- 1 pkt petit pois
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A small pinch of sugar
- 100g butter, diced
- A small splash of cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch of chopped dill
For the vegetables
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, add the peas and asparagus. Once boiling, cook for two minutes then drain and cool down as quickly as possible in iced water. This helps keep the lovely green colour.
- When cool, drain once again and keep to one side.
For the sauce
- Bring the lemon juice up to the boil with the sugar.
- Add the cream then whisk in the butter over a gentle heat, add the mustard and set aside.
For the hake
- Set the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the hake on a buttered roasting tray skin side up. Brush the skin and exposed flesh with more butter.
- Season then place in the oven for 12 minutes or so, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Meanwhile add the peas and asparagus to the butter sauce and gently heat up, and then add the mustard and dill. Season according to taste.
- When hot, spoon the peas on to warm plates and place the fish on top.Serve with new potatoes.