Martin Shanahan's Fishy Seafood Chowder
- 100ml cooking oil
- 500g prawn heads (give your friendly fishmonger a few days notice and they’ll keep the prawn shells for you)
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 100g tomato puree
- 3ltrs water
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp of dried tarragon
- 2 tbsp of ground coriander
- 375g of chowder mix available on the fishmonger’s counter
- 200ml cream
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- Heat a large saucepan, add 100ml of cooking oil.
- Add prawn shells, carrots and onions. Cook over a high heat for 8 - 10 minutes, crushing the prawn shells as they cook.
- Add the tomato purée and water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain, add the garlic, dried coriander and tarragon in a small bowl make a roux with the butter and flour.
- Add to the hot prawn stock. Whisk the roux to thicken the stock.
- Season with salt, then add the chowder mix and the pouring cream, stir gently not to break up the fish too much.
- Simmer for 4 minutes and serve.