Wade Murphy's Perfect Duck Fat Roast Potatoes
- 12 medium rooster potatoes , peeled and cut fairly in half
- 50 mls vegetable oil
- 100 mls of duck fat , if you want you can use goose fat or beef dripping either
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bulb garlic - split in a cross section
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and heat oil in a separate roasting pan. Add the duck fat. We will not be adding the potatoes until the oil & fat is sizzling hot and the potatoes have been parboiled.
- Parboil the potatoes in gently boiling salted water for about 6-7 minutes. They will still be undercooked. Completely drain the potatoes and allow to steam for about 5 mins with the lid on.
- Before adding to the fat, give the pot a good shake in order to rough up the edges of the potatoes. This will help make them nice and crisp.
- Carefully place the potatoes in the hot fat. Turn the potatoes as soon as they go into the pan so they have a light coating of fat from the start.
- Sprinkle with a good pinch of flaky sea salt, fresh ground add the garlic and sprigs of herbs.
- Roast for around 30 to 40 minutes, turning at least once or twice. Drain well and keep in a warm oven, uncovered.
- Season again with salt and pepper before serving.