Chef Maria Raftery from Kernel, Kilkenny crates a dish of Trout Croquettes on Healthy Appetite.
- 100 g Smoked Trout
- 60 g fat-free ricotta cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 40g oats
- 100 g Breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons chopped dill & chives
- Olive oil (ideally in a spray bottle)
- Trout roe (for garnish)
Fennel and Apple Salad:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped tarragon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 celery sticks thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fennel fronds
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 granny smith apples thinly sliced
- Zest & juice of 2 lemons
- 100 ml low-fat plain yoghurt
- Dice the smoked trout and mix with the ricotta, egg whites, oats, herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and then shape into 20 balls.
- Measure 100 g breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Meanwhile, make the salad. Slice the fennel, celery and apples using a julienne peeler, then cut them into fine shreds.
- Add the lemon juice, pepper, herbs, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Stir to combine and set aside in fridge.
- Spray the trout balls with olive oil to coat them then bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until brown all over.
- Make the lemon yoghurt by mixing the zest and juice of two lemons with 100 ml low-fat plain yoghurt.
- On each plate, arrange salad, four croquettes, trout roe and dollops of lemon yoghurt. Sprinkle with some chopped dill and serve.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Fat: 38 g
Sugar: 1 g
Fibre: 8 g