Chef Paul Flynn from The Tannery in Dungarvan creates a Crab Crème Brûlée on Healthy Appetite.
Crab Crème Brûlée:
- 100 g cooked crab
- 200 ml cream
- 70 ml milk
- 25 g pickled ginger
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger juice
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 very small cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 8 g finely grated parmesan (2 g per portion)
- 8 slices of wholegrain melba toast
Thai Pickled Cucumber:
- 80 g caster sugar
- 80 ml water
- 80 g rice wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 banana shallot peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 a red chilli, deseeded and cut into fine strips
- A 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips
- A pinch of fresh coriander
- A pinch of fresh mint torn into rough pieces
- To make the Crème Brûlée combine the cream, milk, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Add 1 clove of garlic, minced well and 15 g pickled ginger, finely sliced.
- Mix with a hand blender to combine. Add 10 g minced pickled ginger and 1 small clove minced garlic. Add the crab, a pinch more salt and the pickled ginger juice.
- Stir and set mixture aside for 15 – 20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C.
- Ladle the mixture into ramekins and place in a roasting tray. Make a bain-marie by pouring boiling water into the tray, halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover with cling film. Place the bain-marie in the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tray once halfway through.
- When cooked, the mixture should wobble just a little in the centre. Remove ramekins from the bain-marie and allow to cool.
- These should be served at room temperature. When ready to serve, sprinkle a layer of the parmesan cheese on the top of each ramekin (2 g per portion) and brown under a hot grill.
- Prepare the Thai pickled cucumber by bringing the water, vinegar and sugar to the boil. Remove it from the heat. Peel and finely slice the ginger, deseed and finely slice the chilli, and slice the shallot.
- Add to the pickling liquid, stir and leave to cool. Peel and cut the cucumber into strips and remove the seeds. Tear some coriander and mint. When the pickle is cool, add the cucumber, mint and coriander and stir.
- Serve each Crab Crème Brûlée with some of the pickle and two slices of whole grain melba toast.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Fat: 18 g
Sugar: 6 g
Fibre: 3 g