Wade's Citrus Meringue Nests with Mixed Berries is a showstopping dessert.
Prep time: Approx 3 ½ hours
- 3 large egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 112g caster sugar
- 1 tspn zest of lemon, arrange & grapefruit
- 60g caster sugar
- 60 mls fresh orange juice
- 600g mixed fresh berries
- Berry Mix
- Fresh Lemon Curd
- Preheat the oven to 90oC. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat if you have one.
- In your mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until it reaches the soft peak stage. Slowly add the sugar with the mixer still running, a couple of tablespoons at a time.
- Beat until all the sugar is combined and when you lift up the whisk the meringue is stiff and glossy. Using a rubber spatula fold in the citrus zest until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the egg mix into 8 even mounds on the baking tray, leaving about 1 ½ inches space between each one. Bake the meringues for approx. 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn off the oven and leave them for a least 1 hour or ideally overnight to dry out. Once cool and dry remove the meringues from the tray and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- The meringues will keep for at least a week once stored correctly.
- In a large pan combine the sugar and the orange juice. Bring to a simmer and allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Add half the mixed berries to the pan and warm through until the berries release their juices and soften slightly.
- Gently pour over the remaining berries and stir gently until well combined. Allow to cool.
- Place the meringue nests in the center of your serving plates.
- Place a spoonful of lemon curd on top of each one and then divide the berry mixture evenly over each meringue.
- Finish with a good drizzle of the orange berry syrup and serve straight away.