Lilly Higgins brings her Spring Chicken to Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 4 x chicken breasts
- 300g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 500g frozen peas
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 15g fresh mint leaves, torn
- From the pantry:
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Halve each chicken breast horizontally, this way it’ll cook faster. Preheat the grill to high. Line a tray with foil and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Place the 8 flat pieces of chicken on the foil and grill for 5-6 minutes until opaque.
- Turn over and top generously with the grated parmesan, grill for a further 5-6 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the parmesan bubbling and golden. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the peas until they are just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, cover and cook over moderately low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Stir in the peas, cover and cook until heated through for 1 minute.
- To serve, stir the torn mint leaves through the peas, season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the peas amongst 4 bowls or plates.
- Leave the chicken pieces whole or thickly slice at an angle and place on top of the peas. Serve immediately.