Slow cooked lamb shank, sticky glazed carrots with a mighty mash potato
For the lamb
- Fry the lamb shanks in a pan until golden brown all over
- While frying the lamb coat the carrot, onion, celery, garlic in the tomato puree and roast in a roasting tray @180 gas mark 6 for 15 minutes
- Place the lamb on the vegetables
- Add the garlic, bay leaf & thyme
- Fill the roasting tray with water until the lamb is ½ covered
- Cover with tin foil & braise for 2 ½ hrs @ 140 gas mark 4 turning the lamb half way through
- Remove the lamb, strain the vegetables and reduce the cooking liquor by ¾ using as your sauce.
For the carrots
- Add all the ingredients into a small pot with a lid
- Bring the juice to the boil, turn down to a simmer & leave steam in the pot for 12 minutes
- Remove the carrots & reduce the orange juice by half & pour over the carrots
For the mash
- I’d always recommend when making mash to bake the potatoes leave to cool slightly and scoop out the potatoes from the skin. This way your mash will be dry & fluffy. You can also do this in advance.
- When you have your potatoes mashed very simply add the rest of the ingredients giving it a good mix to incorporate all the flavours.