Louise Lennox joins Maura and Dáithí to make delicious strawberry and shortbread ice cream.
- 250ml double cream
- 250ml whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 300g strawberries
- 30g caster sugar
- 100g shortbread biscuits
- In a saucepan, heat the cream and milk.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 75g sugar together.
- Pour hot cream mixture onto the egg mixture and whisk.
- Pour mixture into a clean saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon on a low heat until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, remove from heat and strain into a chilled bowl.
- Wash, hull and cut the strawberries into quarters, place in a small saucepan and add the remaining sugar. Cook on a medium heat until strawberries are soft, stirring all the time. Allow to cool completely and add to the custard mix.
- When the custard is completely cold, churn in an ice-cream machine or pour into a large bowl and place into the freezer.
- Allow freezing for 30 minutes then removing the bowl from the freezer and whisk the ice-cream. Repeat this twice more.
- Transfer to a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and freeze until needed.
- If you want to freeze a small amount of ice cream fast fill a bowl with ice and add 6 tablespoons of salt to the ice. Immediately place a bowl over it.
- Pour in half the ice cream custard mixture, then whip the ice cream using an electric whisk over the bowl of salted ice until it is thick.