Eunice Power dropped by Today with Maura and Dáithí to make her Vanilla Banana Cake with Lemon Icing. The best banana cake ever! Popular with everyone in the house .
- 250g butter – at room temperature
- 300g cater sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp bread soda
- 125ml boiling milk
- 375g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 100g butter, softened
- 275 g icing sugar, shifted
- 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
Eunice Power dropped by Today with Maura and Dáithí to make her Vanilla Banana Cake with Lemon Icing. The best banana cake ever! Popular with everyone in the house.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Butter and line a 24cm spring form tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then gently beat in the mashed banana and vanilla.
- Add the soda to the hot milk- it will froth – then gently beat into the banana batter.
- Shift over the flour and baking powder with a pinch of salt and gently fold in until evenly combined with no trace of flour, then spread evenly over the base of a buttered and lined tin.
- Bake until firm to the touch, the side of the cake have pulled away from the sides of the tin and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife round the edge of the cake and leave to cool completely on a wire rack in its tin.
- To make the icing. With an electric beater, gently beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice together until smooth and creamy, then swirl prettily over the cooled cake.