Catherine is back on RTÉ One with a brand new heart-warming cooking and travel programme, 'Tastes Like Home', where she visits Irish people living abroad to recreate the dish that reminds them of Ireland and their loved ones.
- rapeseed oil, for sautéing
- 4 smoked bacon rashers, cut into lardons
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 12 large chard leaves and stems, trimmed and roughly shredded
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- salt and freshly
- ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp crumbled local
- artisan blue cheese, for the top
Catherine says: "There's something quite cheery about rainbow chard in the garden – those rubies, oranges, pinks and yellows look so impressive. It's a beautiful veg that grows easily in the garden and perfect to accompany any main course."
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon lardons, sauté until crispy and set aside on a clean plate.
- Add a little more oil followed by the shallots and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the bacon lardons, chopped chives, chard and celery seeds and toss well in the hot pan until the chard has wilted.
- Check the seasoning, adding a little salt and some freshly ground black pepper as needed.
- To serve, transfer to a serving bowl and crumble a little blue cheese over the top.
Tastes Like Home is on RTÉ One Friday nights at 7.30pm to 8pm. If you miss the programme, watch it on the RTÉ Player here.