Mark Moriarty is on the Today with Maura and Dáithí to share his recipe for Bavette steak, mushrooms, quick pepper sauce and garlic hassleback potatoes.
- 500g piece Bavette steak
- 50g girolles/oyster/chestnut mushrooms
- 100ml white wine
- 20g crushed black pepper
- 500ml cream
- 100g butter
- Sprig tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 12 small potatoes, sliced into hasslebacks
- 1 whole head garlic
- Firstly, place the potatoes on a baking tray with the whole head of garlic and cook at 180c for 40mins until golden brown.
- Remove the head of garlic at this point and cut off the base using a serrated knife. Carefully squeeze the roasted pulp back over the potatoes, being careful not to get the garlic skin involved. Season with some salt and olive oil and the potatoes are ready to serve.
- Heat a pan till it is smoking hot. Add the Bavette steak and season generously with salt and pepper, char it on both sides and place on in the oven at 120c for 15mins (depending on thickness). Keep the juices in the pan. Remove the steak after 15mins and allow to rest for 5mins
- To the pan add the diced onion and soften over a medium heat. Once soft, increase the heat and add the white wine followed by the cream. Allow to reduce and thicken, whisk in the butter followed by the tarragon and lots of black pepper. Serve warm.
- Fry some mushrooms in a hot pan with a knob of butter. Assemble the dish by slicing the Bavette across the grain. Place the slices on a plate, cover in mushrooms. Serve the sauce and potatoes on the side and enjoy!