Lynda Booth from the Dublin Cookery School shows us how to make this cheesey, savoury tart that's perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Watch the video below for the Onion Prosciutto & Durrus Cheese Tart recipe from Dublin Cookery School.
Here's a Tip: When buying puff pastry, look for a brand that is made with pure butter. Never leave the puff pastry out on the counter longer than necessary. It is imperative that the pastry remains very cold.
- 375g/13oz all butter puff pastry
- 3 tabsps olive oil
- 3 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or lemon thyme if you have it)
- 85g/3oz slices parma ham
- 150g/5oz durrus cheese (or Gubeen, Cooleney, Brie, Taleggio as an alternative) – rind removed and cut into slices
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp cream, to egg wash
- Preheat oven to 220C, 425F, Gas 7
- Roll out the pastry to 30cm x 25cm/12” x 9 ½ “ and place on a baking sheet. Draw a line with a knife to create a border about 2 cm/ ¾” wide and score the border lightly with a knife. Prick the inner rectangle with a fork. Prick the inner rectangle with a fork. Brush the egg wash all over the border of the pastry. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and add the sliced onions and thyme. Cook with the lid on for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are completely softened. Remove from the saucepan and allow to cool. Once the onions are completely cold, spread them onto the pastry base, staying inside the border.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temp to 200C, 400F, Gas 6. Place the strips of prosciutto on top of the onions, followed by the cheese slices and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is crisp and the cheese is lighty golden. Serve immediately.
The video has been produced in partnership with Lynda Booth’s Dublin Cookery School in Blackrock using one of their own recipes. The school was named ‘Best Cookery School in Ireland’ in 2013 & 2015 (Irish Restaurant Awards). For further information, click here. Follow Dublin Cookery School on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!