This classic dish is surprisingly simple and quick to make.
- 1kg mussels, prepared
- A knob of butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 60mls white wine
- Chopped parsley, to serve
- Set a large saucepan over a medium heat. Melt the butter. Add the chopped shallot and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. They should soften but not brown. Add the wine and mussels, turn the heat up to high and cover tightly with a lid.
- Allow the mussels to cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time to ensure they cook evenly. Discard any that have not opened.
- Remove the pan from the heat to stop the mussels cooking any further. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, then spoon them into warmed bowls and pour over the pan juices.
- Serve with lots of crusty bread
Recipe courtesy of Bord Bia.