The perfect time of year to enjoy some shell fish and the chilli flakes in this dish give a little kick without overpowering the other flavours.
- 1 kg mussels, prepared
- 1 tablesp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 300g linguine
- 2 tablesp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve: Lightly dressed green salad
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes. They should soften but not brown. Then add the tomatoes and simmer for ten minutes. Taste and season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Cook the linguine in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking add the prepared mussels to the tomato sauce. Allow the mussels to cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time to ensure they cook evenly. Discard any that have not opened.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain, saving a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the saucepan it was cooked in along with the reserved cooking liquid. Pour the mussels and tomato sauce on top of the pasta and mix well. Return the saucepan to a low heat for a couple of minutes to heat through.
- Drizzle over some olive oil and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve with a green salad
Recipe courtesy of Bord Bia.