These cucumbers are immensely popular. Serve with cold meats, pates and terrines, smoked fish, sandwiches, spiced beef, with a sharp and mature cheddar cheese or on their own - winner!
The pickle keeps well in the fridge, though it does lose its bright green colour. I like to slice the cucumbers and onions really thinly for a more melting and tender result. There will be some of the pickling liquid left after the cucumbers are eaten. I like to save this and use it for sprinkling on thinly sliced onions for an instant pickle.
- 2 cucumbers, very thinly sliced or thin slices peeled off the cucumbers from top to bottom with a vegetable peeler
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 8fl oz/225g white sugar
- 5fl oz/150ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- The sugar will dissolve quite quickly and the cucumbers will be ready to eat within an hour.
- Store covered and chilled.