Who said sandwiches have to be boring?
- 1 large day old sourdough boule or a day old round crusty loaf
- 1 small red pepper (quartered and de-seeded)
- 1 small yellow pepper (quartered and de-seeded)
- 2 small courgettes (sliced diagonally)
- 1 aubergine (sliced diagonally)
- 1 red onion (halved and thickly sliced)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- large handful fresh basil leaves
- 4 tblsp black olive tapenade
- 125g balls buffalo mozzarella (x2)
- Preheat the grill to high or use the BBQ. Place the vegetables into a large bowl with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the oregano and season.
- Toss well until all the vegetables have been coated with oil. Place ½ the vegetables onto a wire rack and place under the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the veg are tender and slightly charred. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the vegetables.
- Toss the vegetables with the garlic and balsamic vinegar. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Slice the top 1/3 off the loaf of bread.
- Scrape out the bread from the inside of the loaf and from the lid. Leave a 2cm layer of bread in the loaf. (Tip: blend the bread to make bread crumbs and freeze until needed).
- Using a spoon, spread 2/3 of the tapenade into the base of the loaf.
- Drain the vegetables (keep the flavoured oil for cooking).
- Slice the mozzarella and pat dry with some kitchen paper. It is best not to have the ingredients too wet as it will make the loaf soggy. Start layering the cheese and the vegetables in the loaf crust.
- Tear the basil leaves and scatter between every other layer. Spread the lid with tapenade and place on top of the loaf and wrap well in cling film. Place a tray on top .
- Weigh it down with some full jars or cans of food. Place in a cool place for 2 hours. Bring on the picnic in a cooler bag. Unwrap and cut into wedges.