This may seem like an unusual combination, but believe me it works really well - Rory says in his RTÉ One TV show, How to Cook Well with Rory O'Connell.
Rory says: "The cooked rhubarb should be perfectly tender and still holding its shape, in a syrup perfumed with the vanilla and citrus juice.
"Serve the rhubarb warm or chilled. It is delicious served with a Rhubarb Fool in which case it should definitely be chilled or with Vanilla or Brown Bread Ice cream where it can be served warm or cold."
- Bright red and firm rhubarb stalks are required here. Watch out for a lovely variety of rhubarb called Timperly red.
- Clementines have the most delicious juice and is best here, though any of the sweet oranges from the mandarin orange family such as satsumas or tangerines will do.
- 450g of red rhubarb stalks, cut at an angle into 5cm pieces
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 125ml Clementine or tangerine juice
- Preheat oven to 200c / 400f / Gas Mark 6
- Place all of the ingredients in a baking dish they fit into snugly.
- Cover tightly with tinfoil and seal well.
- Put in the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour. I usually have a look at them after 45 minutes, and test the pieces with a skewer to see how tender they are, but generally I find it takes the full hour to cook.
- Serve warm or chilled.