Jazz up store bought meringues with this tasty recipe.
- 175 g caster sugar
- 225 g mixed berries
- 600 ml double cream
- 2 egg whites, optional (see note)
- 2 individual meringues, or meringue nests
- 30-45ml lavender honey or 1 vanilla pod
- caster sugar (to taste)
- Place the mixed berries & sugar in a pan with 50ml/2fl oz water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook gently for about 15-20 minutes, or until the berries have turned to a thick, chunky purée. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk the cream until softly whipped and light and fluffy.
- If using, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Crush the meringues into small pieces.
- Place 1 tblsp of the berry mix in the bottom of the glasses, place the rest of the mixed berry mix in a bowl, add the whipped cream and fold in, then add honey to taste.
- Finally, fold in the egg whites if using and the crushed meringues. If necessary add caster sugar to sweeten to taste.
- Spoon the fool into glasses and serve straight away.
If using the raw egg whites, because of the slight risk of salmonella poisoning, raw egg should be avoided by the sick, the elderly, the very young and pregnant women.