- 1 rabbit, jointed and marinated
- 3 tblsp oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- pinch powdered marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock or half stock, half cider
- Pat the joints dry. Heat the oil and fry the joints on all sides until brown. Lift out and put into a casserole dish.
- In the same oil lightly fry the vegetables, add the marjoram, sprinkle a little flour over and stir.
- Add the stock gradually, stirring until smooth, then stir in a few tablespoons of the marinade.
- Pour this over the rabbit, cover and cook in a moderate oven at 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4 for about half-an-hour, then lower the heat to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2 for a further 1½ hours or until tender.
- For Rabbit Pie (Serves about 6):
- The Braised Rabbit recipe above can be used as the basis for a delicious rabbit pie.
- Take the meat when cooked from the bones, add 2 or 3 rashers of chopped bacon, fill the stock to come up to within 2.5cm (1in) of the rim of the dish, then cover with rich shortcrust or flaky pastry and cook for about half-an-hour.