Peperina Spanish Breakfast
This a wonderful brunch dish by Peperina is a simple and very tasty dish to recreate at home on a lazy weekend. Top some thick cut toast with 2 fried or poached eggs and some grilled tomato, rocket and parmesan. Any green leaves or cheese would suffice if you have something in the fridge. Add your homemade croquetas and a side of homemade relish. That’s it, a perfect Spanish breakfast!
- for the croquetas:
- 100 g spicy chorizo, diced
- 2 cup mashed potato, cold
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 0.50 cup grated cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 2 eggs yolks
- sprinkle chopped parsley
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 0.50 cup vegetable oil
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- for the relish:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small fresh red chilli, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 500 g ripe vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- For the Croquetas:
- Mix together the chorizo, potato, paprika, cheese, yolks, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into little tablespoon sized cylinders and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Roll the croquettas in flour; dip in the egg wash and then roll again in breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry the croquettas until golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with a little green salad.
- For the relish:
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato to the onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the tomato breaks down.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, and cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.