Fiery Fajitas with Salsa
This recipe is delicious and is really suitable for family and friends alike. I like to just leave all the components of the meal in the middle of the table and allow all of the guests to help themselves and build their own fajita. The stir fry part of this recipe is also suitable for pork, duck or beef.
- For the Stir-Fry Mix:
- 450g (1lb) chicken breast (cut into very thin strips)
- 8-12 medium size flour tortillas
- 200g (7oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pepper (sliced thinly)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 - 2 red chillies - chopped very finely
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 5 mushrooms - sliced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tblsp honey
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- For the Guacamole:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 dsp chopped coriander/flat leaf parsley
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ red chilli - chopped very finely
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- ½ red onion - diced
- 2 plum tomatoes (deseeded and diced)
- 2 dsp cream cheese (optional)
- For the Crème Fraîche Spread:
- 200ml crème fraîche
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Cracked black pepper
- Chopped parsley
- To make the crème fraîche spread, very simply just mix all of the ingredients together until combined. Chill in the fridge until required.
- To make the guacamole, add all ingredients (except the tomatoes and cream cheese) to a food processor or large mixing bowl and blitz (you can use a hand held blender if desired) until a relatively smooth purée has been achieved. Remove from the blender and mix in the cream cheese and chopped tomatoes. Make sure this product is well-chilled.
- Grate some cheddar cheese and have this standing by also.
- Heat a large saucepan or wok. Have all of the ingredients prepared in advance because you do need to stand over this dish.
- Add a little oil to the wok together with the chilli, garlic and sliced chicken.
- Allow the beat to seal off quite quickly. Next add in all of the sliced vegetables into the wok and allow these to cook quickly.
- Mix the honey and soy sauce together in a bowl and add these to the chicken and vegetables when they are almost fully cooked.
- Correct the seasoning of the dish at this stage, bearing in mind that the soy sauce can tend to be quite salty so a lot of salt may not be required. Sprinkle in the ground cumin at this stage also.
- Serve immediately with tortilla wraps and dips.