A twist on cannelloni.. a filling, very tasty recipe that everyone will love, easy to make. Takes half the time if you have a blender... nice with salad, home-made wedges or garlic bread... an alternative to lasagne!!
- cannelloni tubes
- 1 lb sausages
- cup of breadcrumbs
- tomato puree
- mixed herbs
- cheese if you wish
For the tomato sauce (open to interpretation)
- 3 onion
- 3 garlic
- 3 celery
- 3 peppers
- 3 bay leaf
- 3 basil
- 3 tins chopped tomatoes/passata
- 3 seasoning
- For the sauce, fry onion, garlic, celery in oil until soft, add peppers, bay leaf, herbs and tins of tomatoes, basil. Simmer away. Adjust this if you wish, it's just a guide for a basic sauce
- Peel sausage meat from skin and put in a bowl, mix in breadcrumbs, diced onion and garlic and tomato purée and mix. Add herbs, you can play around with this.
- You have to stuff your tubes with the mixture which can be messy, it's best done with your fingers. Have a baking tray ready and pour a layer of your sauce in to cover the bottom so the tubes dont stick. place the tubes in a SINGLE layer - don't put them on top of each other, it doesn't work. Squeeze as many in as you can. Cover with your sauce.
- Put in to a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for an hour. I would normally throw a tiny bit of cheese on in the last few mins (not at the start sometimes it burns the top).
- You will notice the sauce thickens right up and it looks like a lasagne. It's very rich with all the red sauce so small portions would work well.