- for the salad
- 350 g cooked chicken, torn into strips
- 250 g vermicelli noodles, soaked and drained according to packet instructions
- 1 medium cucumber, roughly peeled, sliced lengthways, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 fennel bulb, very finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
- a small bunch of fresh mint, leaves roughly torn
- salt and ground white pepper
- for the dressing
- 4 tblsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 – 2 teaspoons fish sauce, to taste
- a pinch of caster sugar
- 0.50 a fresh long red chilli, finely chopped
- 0.50 tsp sesame oil
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust as necessary so that you have a harmonious balance of flavours, with none more dominant than the others.
- Put the salad ingredients into a bowl and mix together, tossing the noodles around to separate the strands and combine them well with the other ingredients. Pour over a little of the dressing and toss. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper if necessary.
- Put the salad into a serving dish and pour over the remaining dressing, mixing well to coat the noodles.
Extracted from GOK COOKS CHINESE by Gok Wan, out in Hardback by Penguin/Michael Joseph, £20. The book is the official tie-in to Gok’s TV cookery series on Channel 4 which starts on 21st May.