- 2 tblsp creme patissiere (recipe below)
- 1 tblsp cointreau
- 4 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g butter
- 3 halves poached pears
- 60 ml pear puree
- 1 tsp Cointreau
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 12 g plain flour
- 12 g corn flour
- To make the Crème Patissiere whisk the egg yolks and sugar until slightly white, add the sugar and flour bit by bit and whisk until it is all completely dissolved.
- Boil the milk and vanilla pod and gradually add the egg mixture to the milk.
- Put onto a high heat and stir until it thickens, once this is done transfer the custard to a cold bowl and put into the fridge to cool down.
- You can use crème patissiere or normal custard for this recipe. Crème patissiere is a French Pastry Cream.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Brush a 10cm (diameter) oven proof pan thoroughly with butter and place it in the oven for 5 minutes until it is red hot.
- Put the crème patissiere and cointeau in a round bottomed bowl and whisk together.
- Put the egg whites in another bowl and whisk to soft peaks, add the sugar gradually, whisking in until the mixture is stiff.
- Add a quarter of the whipped egg white to creme patissiere and whisk together.
- Carefully fold in the remaining egg white.
- At this stage bring the pan out of the oven and butter it again using a pastry brush. Place the soufflé mix in the pan and fill it up to the rim.
- Knock the bottom of the tin slightly on the stove, then place in the oven for 3 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Poach your pears in cointreau, water and sugar syrup in advance. I’m using tinned pears and like to include the juice from the tin.
- Make your pear puree in advance by boiling down some ripe pears in sugar and water, adding some cointreau and putting them through a sieve.
- You can gently reheat both the poached pears and puree while the soufflé is cooking.
- To serve, pour the warm pear puree on to a plate and garnish the edges with the poached pears.
- Take the soufflé out of the pan, and turn out with the smooth side up on the centre of the plate. Serve immediately.