- 115 g (4 oz) baking margarine, softened
- 115 g (4 oz) light brown sugar
- 2.50 ml (½ tsp) dr oetker vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100 g (3½ oz) plain flour
- 15 g (½ oz) cocoa powder
- 7.50 ml (1½ tsp) baking powder
- 50 g (2 oz) dr. oetker milk chocolate chips
For the icing
- 100 g (3½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 165 g (5½ oz) icing sugar
- 25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder
- 3/4-1 tsp Dr Oetker peppermint extract
- dr. oetker polka dots to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, 375°F, gas 5). Line 10 cupcake tins with brown paper cup cake cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy-light in texture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add the chocolate chips and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Spoon into the cake cases and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder to make a smooth, creamy icing. Add peppermint extract to taste.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (½ inch) star nozzle and pipe a generous peaked swirl on top of each cake. Decorate with polka dots before serving.