- 675 g (1.5 lb floury potatoes cut into large even-sized chunks (rooster or golden wonder, all similar in size)
- vegetable oil, or dripping, goose or duck fat
- salt to season
- Preheat the oven to 220C (425F/Gas 7). Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the outsides have just softened. Drain and return to the pan for a minute or two to dry out.
- Meanwhile, preheat a roasting tin with a 4 tbsps of oil, or dripping, duck or goose fat for a few minutes until just smoking. Put the lid back on the potatoes and shake vigorously to break up and soften the edges or roughly prod the outside of the potatoes with a fork. Carefully tip them into the hot oil, basting the tops.
- Place the roasting tin with the potatoes back in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, then pour off the majority of the fat before turning the potatoes over. Season to taste with the salt and cook for a further 20 minutes until crispy around the edges and golden brown.
- To serve, tip the roast potatoes into a warmed serving dish.