- 150 gcold butter, diced
- 240 g plain flour
- 30 g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 bramley / cooking apples
- 3 eating apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3 tblsp demerera sugar
- For the sweet shortcrust pastry put the butter, flour and sugar into a bowl and mix with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Add the egg and gently work with a round bladed knife or in the food processor to bind the ingredients together. Don't knead!
- Flatten into a disc and cover with cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Cover with the lemon juice.
- Roll out & line a regular tart tin or dish with the pastry, keeping 1/3 for the lid.
- Generously fill with the apple slices, press them down gently. Sieve over the cornflour and mixed spice. Sprinkle with demerera sugar.
- Roll the remaining pastry out and place on top of the tart. Pinch the edges together gently to seal.
- Brush with milk or an egg glaze. Sprinkle with a little more demerera sugar and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.