- 4 eggs (separated)
- 4 tblsp icing sugar
- 425 g mascarpone cheese
- 125 ml strong, cold black coffee
- 4 tblsp brandy
- 2 tblsp rum
- 24 sponge fingers (or boudoir biscuits)
- 100 g grated dark chocolate
- 4 tblsp mixed nuts (chopped, optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Blend in the mascarpone.
- In a separate dish, mix together the brandy, rum and coffee, and dip each sponge finger or boudoir biscuit into this before layering them on the bottom and around the sides of a shallow serving dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Using a metal spoon, fold the whites into the mascarpone mixture until well blended.
- Spoon this over the fingers or biscuits and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle the top with grated chocolate, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or, ideally, overnight as this will allow the dish to set completely, and the flavours to blend together properly.