- duck ingredients
- 2 (360g each) large duck breasts (should be from the french canard gras)
- green saffron duck spices – 1tsp orange zest, 2tsp star anise ground, 1 tsp powdered ginger, 1 tsp allspice, ½ tsp cloves and 1 1 tsp black pepper
- rösti potatoes ingredients
- 2 medium to large baking potatoes (peeled)
- fine sea salt, black pepper to taste
- 0.50 tsp green saffron duck spices (per 400g of drained grated potato)
- 2 sprigs thyme (leaves only)
- garlic clove
- oil, for frying
- Trim the duck breasts of excess fat. Then rub generously with 2 tsps of GS Poultry Rub on each breast. This can be covered and kept in the fridge for 12 -24 hours, before turning over gently to remove excess spice.
- In a cold/cool pan place duck breast fat side down, turn heat to med high don’t touch the meat leave for 6-9 mins so the fat is very crisp the pan will now contain a lot of fat which has been rendered from the duck turn the breast over just to seal not to colour.
- Place the breasts on a thin aluminuim baking tray skin side up in a preheated 200°C oven for 5mins remove cover lightly to allow the juices to collect and the meat to rest
- Grate coarsely the peeled potato, place potato in the centre of a clean tea towel draw up and ring out very firmly and tightly so you remove all the water and starch moisture.
- Put back into a large bowl season loosen with a large fork season generously with ½ tsp of Green Saffron Duck spices per 400g of drained potato, the picked thyme leaves, fine sea salt and black pepper.