- 6 egg yolks
- 75 g sugar
- 475 ml milk
- 150 ml cream
- 0.50 vanilla pod
- 0.50 tsp cornflour (to prevent the custard from splitting when adding alcohol)
- 1 large brandy
- pinch cinnamon
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and with a small sharp knife scrape out the seeds of one half of the vanilla pod.
- Put the seeds and the half pod into the milk and cream in a large saucepan. Wrap the remainder of the vanilla pod and retain for later use.
- Bring milk, cream and vanilla pod to the boil.
- Meanwhile in a large spotlessly clean bowl and using a whisk beat the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Spend about 2 minutes on this process.
- Pour boiled milk and cream mixture onto the eggs and mix well.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook until the mixture can coat the back of a wooden spoon. It is important to stir the mixture at all times to prevent it from curdling. This process should take no more than 2 minutes on a very gentle heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil at this time. Taste the custard at this stage and then quickly whisk in the brandy and cinnamon.
- Serve the sauce over the steamed orange pudding.