- 6-8 scallops (with roe and muscle removed)
- 100 g good quality bacon lardoons
- 6-8 baby beetroots (cleaned)
- handful yellow and red cherry tomatoes
- mixed salad leaves and edible flowers (if available)
- for the dressing:
- juice ½ lemon
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tblsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper
- Place the beetroot in an oven-proof dish, drizzle with olive oil and roast beets in the oven at 200°C for 20 until cooked, leave to cool, peel and slice into wedges. Cook the lardoons by frying them on a pan until crispy, drain and set aside.
- Quarter the tomatoes. Make the dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together well. In a bowl mix the beets and slices tomatoes with half of the dressing, set aside. Dress the salad leaves lightly in another bowl, tossing to ensure they are coated.
- In another bowl place the scallops, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place a frying pan on a high heat, when hot place the scallops on the pan, check to see that they are turning nice and brown and after one minute turn them over. Add a large slice of butter to the pan and swirl around.
- Take two large bowls or plates, arrange some of the leaves in the centre, spoon on some of the dressed beets and tomatoes, arrange the scallops around this and scatter over some cooked lardoons, drizzle over a little remaining dressing from the beets, finish with a grind of fresh black pepper.