- 1 italian gateaux
- 100 ml hot water with 3 tbsp instant coffee
- 150 g grandessa blackcurrant jam
- 150 g grandessa raspberry jam
- 5 balls of stracciatella or vanilla ice-cream
- 6 egg whites
- 300 g caster sugar
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peak. With the whisk still turning start adding the sugar a tablespoon at a time.
- Slice the gateaux into 2cm slices and line the baking dish with it, cut side up.
- Mix the coffee with the hot water and pour over the cake base. Now blob on the two jams.
- Next, top the gateaux base with the balls of ice-cream.
- Working quickly, smother the whole lot with the meringue using a palette knife.
- Pop the Alaska into a hot oven (220º C) for about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.