- 250 g butter
- 250 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 g ground almonds
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 50 g plain flour
- 250 g frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 8 plums (halved lengthways, pitted and thinly sliced)
- In a food processor or mixer, cream the butter, sugar and the vanilla extract for about 5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the ground almonds and eggs, pulsing until thoroughly mixed.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, then fold in the flour. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge. This mixture is called 'frangipane'.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Roll out the puff pastry very thinly. Cut into two 16-18cm circles using the rim of a bowl as a guide. Place the circles in the flan tins.
- Spread a thin layer of frangipane on top of the pastry. Arrange the plum slices on top of the frangipane in overlapping concentric circles.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the filling is set.
- Serve hot or warm.