- 1 level teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 level teaspoon sugar
- 20-30 grinds of the pepper mill
- 1 tblsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- a small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp mixed herbs (finely chopped, e.g. parsley, chervil, chives, tarragon, marjoram, mint, thyme, fennel, salad burnet)
- Crush the garlic with the salt and dissolve in the vinegar, together with the sugar and pepper.
- Stir in the oil to make an emulsion, then add the chopped onion and the mixed herbs, choosing three or four from list above.
- Some herbs, such as tarragon, mint and thyme, have stronger flavours than the others so taste as you go.