- 1 tblsp butter or margarine
- 450 g plain flour
- 0.50 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 225 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 225°C (425°F/Gas 7).
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Add the salt and bread soda and mix all well together by running the dry ingredients through your fingers.
- Add the buttermilk and stir into a soft dough with a wooden spoon.
- With floured hands, knead lightly into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Flatten the dough into a circle 3.5cm/1.5 inches thick with the palm of your hand.
- Make a cross in the centre with a floured knife (to ensure the blessing of the Holy Trinity, of course!) and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when knocked.