- 1.20 l chicken or beef stock
- 45 g butter
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 325 g arborio rice
- 60 g grated fresh parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Melt some of the butter and oil in a separate saucepan and cook onion over a low heat for 5-6 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add rice and stir for 1-2 minutes. This will coat the grains well with the butter mixture.
- Pour in 200ml or 6½ oz boiling stock and stir over a medium heat until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue cooking until stock is used and rice is just tender, this will take 18 - 20 minutes. Stir frequently during cooking to prevent sticking.
- Stir Parmesan through with remaining butter. Season to taste with black pepper and serve.
- Other variations for this recipe are:-
- Risotto with Asparagus and Bacon
- Make up Risotto with Parmesan Cheese, cooking 2 chopped bacon rashers with the onion. Cook 500g or 1lb fresh asparagus in boiling chicken stock. When tender, remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 5 cm or 2in pieces. Fold through risotto just prior to serving.
- Risotto with Spinach and Herbs
- Make up Risotto with Parmesan Cheese, cooking 2 crushed garlic cloves with the onion. Cook 440g or 14oz spinach until tender, drain and chop finely. Fold spinach, together with 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil and 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano through cooked risotto.