- wine mix:
- 1 bottle of red wine (a big, full-on red, full of berry fruits. something like an australian, californian or new zealand shiraz – either way it doesn’t need to cost too much)
- 120g sugar
- mulled spice mix:
- 3 cloves,
- ½ tsp ginger powder,
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg,
- ¼ tsp mace,
- ½ tsp cinnamon (all ground)
- 1 dash of crème de cassis (optional)
- paired orange and lemon zest, cut into thin strips (optional)
- Pour your chosen bottle of wine, sugar and the Mulled Spices into a thick bottomed saucepan
- Place the pan onto a gentle heat, stir and heat for a few minutes until the aromas send tingles down your spine and the wine is warm to the touch.
- DON’T ALLOW IT TO BOIL AS YOU’LL ONLY END UP LOSING THE ALCOHOL!
- Add the Crème de Cassis, orange and lemon zest-strips (if using) and stir again.
- Take off the heat, strain through a sieve into a suitable serving jug.
- Serve, drink, enjoy and sláinte!
- For pure, warming indulgence you can also add a dash or two of brandy and port, to help you through these cold nights.
For the wine, you need a big, full-on red, full of berry fruits. Something like an Australian, Californian or New Zealand Shiraz. Either way, it doesn’t need to cost too much.