- 500 g lean minced beef
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1-2 fresh green chillies (seeded and chopped)
- bunch fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 400 g tin red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 400 g carrots
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 175 ml chicken stock or water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red pepper (seeded and chopped)
- lime juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C if baking. Heat the oil in a large casserole. Tip in the mince and turn quickly until browned.
- Lower the heat and add the onion, garlic, chillies and coriander. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, stock or water and cinnamon stick. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently or bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Check and stir occasionally. Add a splash of water if needed. Add the red pepper and stir.
- Cover and simmer gently or bake for a further 40 minutes. Taste. Season with pepper and a squeeze of lime.
This recipe comes with bagfuls of vitamins and iron. Serve with tortilla chips or tacos. Top with natural yoghurt, diced avocado, chopped fresh coriander, chopped red onion, squeeze of lime & grated cheese.