- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 tblsp butter
- 4 tblsp golden syrup
- 1 tblsp water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Yellaman is thick and sweet,
And much tradition lies behind it;
For centuries at Lammas Fair
In Ballycastle, you would find it.
- To make this toffee, first you melt
The butter in a heavy pan;
Add sugar, syrup, vinegar,
And start to boil your Yellaman.
- To test it, take a spoonful up
And in cold water let it fall:
It's ready if the mixture turns
Into a crisp and brittle ball.
- Now put the baking soda in-
You'll find that it will foam and froth;
So take a spoon and rapidly
Keep stirring up the bubbling broth.
- Now pour it in a well-greased tin;
Cool, then break in bits to eat.
You'll soon know why, at Lammas fair in Ballycastle, Northern Ireland,
The Yellaman was such a treat.