- 200 g tuna
- 4 whole anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 8 quail eggs (hard boiled and halved)
- a good handful of black olives (ideally french, from Nice is even better)
- 4 medium potatoes (boiled, cooled and sliced)
- a good handful of green beans (lightly boiled or steamed)
- ½ red pepper (sliced)
- ½ yellow pepper (sliced)
- for the dressing:
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- fleur de sel
- freshly ground black pepper
- I like having the potatoes because they soak up the vinaigrette and peppers are a must because they add fantastic crunch to the salad. This is a great recipe, because the main ingredient is the tuna.
- Traditionally it comes in a tin, which makes it easy, but for this version I have turned it round and done it with fresh tuna which gives a little bit of moisture and it isn’t as salty as the stuff which comes from tins. I just briefly sear it in hot oil, so it stays red and soft and moist on the inside.
- It's just slightly cooked on all sides and sliced through. The other ingredients are anchovies and olives to make beautiful colourful ingredients. Take them all separately and line them up on a board or platter, drizzle with dressing and present. Simple!