- 250 g fresh cod
- 250 g smoked coley
- 300 g potato
- 3 hard boiled eggs (to be done on day)
- 1 tblsp chopped parsley
- 1 tblsp chopped dill
- 1 lemon zest
- 250 ml milk for poaching (season with slices carrot, 1 bay leave, 4 peppercorn, 2 cloves, half onion)
- 200 ml veg oil
- 1 egg
- 100 g flour
- 100 g breadcrumbs (to be made on day)
Tomato and onion chutney
- 1 cup baby plum tomatoes halved
- 0.50 cup onions diced
- 1 chilli
- 0.50 tsp cumin seed
- 0.50 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- sugar, salt and pepper to season
For the dressing
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 4 fillet anchovy
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp yogurt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 4 rectangle thin strip (20cm each) of white chinese radish
- 150 g japanese mushroom
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 8 chives
- 1 spring onion
- Blitz bread in food processor to make breadcrumbs. Put eggs on to hard-boil.
- To make dressing, blend all ingredients in food processor and set aside.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into even-sized chunks. Put them in saucepan and just cover with boiling water add a pinch of salt bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 mins or until tender. Rinse in colander then put through the ricer, set aside.
- Meanwhile, lay the fish in the saucepan cover with milk, drop in couple sliced carrot, bay leave, clove, peppercorn, ½ onion. Cover, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 4 mins. Take off the heat and let stand, covered for 10 mins.
- To make chutney heat a tablespoon of oil in the small saucepan add onion, grated ginger and garlic fry until soft add in cumin seed, turmeric powder, chili, chopped tomatoes, sugar. Cover and simmer on low heat about 10 mins until chutney thickens up; turn off the heat set aside.
- Lift the fish out put on the plate when cool down flake it into big chunks season with pepper.
- In the bowl mix together mash potatoes, lemon zest, chopped parsley, chopped dill, chopped boiled egg, onion and season well. Gentle mix in the fish flakes. (Try not to break fish flakes to much)
- Shape fish mixture into cakes, dust with flour, dip in beaten egg then breadcrumbs rest in the fridge until ready to fry.
- Make bouquet salad, julienne cut carrot and cucumber, use peeler peel radish into strip for wrapping the carrot, cucumber and mushroom tie with chive.
- Heat the oil in the large frying pan, when ready fry the fish cakes over a medium heat for about 5 mins each side or until crisp and golden
- Serve fish cakes with chutney and bouquet salad and dressing.