The remains of the Republican leader Frank Ryan are reinterred in Glasnevin cemetery.
Following a requiem mass at Whitefriars Street Church, the remains of Frank Ryan, the Republican leader who died in Dresden, Germany in 1944 are reinterred at Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin.
The tricolor draped coffin is flanked and followed by those who knew Frank Ryan before he led an Irish unit on the Republican side against the Nationalist force of General Franco when the Spanish Civil War broke out in 1936.
Frank Ryan was taken prisoner at the end of the war and sentenced to death, but was reprieved after a campaign on his behalf. In July 1940, the Spanish authorities handed Ryan over to Nazi Germany. An attempt was made to bring him back to Ireland by U-boat with IRA leader Seán Russell. However Russell died on board and Ryan returned to Germany in the submarine.
The chief mourner at the funeral is Frank Ryan's sister, Eilis. Also at the graveside are a number of men who fought with Ryan in the International Brigade. His relative Father Coyne conducts the service in Irish, and the graveside oration is delivered by his Ryan’s comrade Con Lehane.
It’s impossible to describe the influence that he wielded, it’s impossible to describe the popularity Frank held in the city of Dublin amongst ordinary working people in the years between 1925 and 1932.
A bugler and drummer-from the ITGWU band play ‘The Last Post’.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 22 June 1979. The reporter is Colm Connolly.