At College Green Dublin Henry Grattan persuaded the Irish Parliament to pass his declaration of independence.

1982 marks 200 years since the formation of Grattan's Parliament located at College Green in Dublin. The current headquarters of Bank of Ireland once housed the Irish parliament.

Until 1782, the parliament was not much more than a talking shop with all laws and decisions coming from London. During the 1770s, attempts were made by Protestant patriots to get commercial restrictions on Irish trade rescinded and the Irish claim to legislative independence acknowledged. A force set up over fears of a French invasion turned its attention to home matters and by the end of 1778 it had 40,000 volunteers.

In 1782, a convention of democratically elected volunteers was held in Dungannon. The convention resolved that a claim by any body of men other than the Kings, Lords and Commons of Ireland to bind this country was unconstitutional. By the end of 1782, the government had yielded to this implied threat. Irish politician and lawyer Henry Grattan had persuaded the Irish Parliament to pass his declaration of independence providing legislative freedom for the Irish parliament.

The essence of the 1782 constitution was the act of renunciation of English legislative rights in Ireland.

The constitution secured the independence of judges, control of the army, and control over legislation.

The British parliament could no longer legislate for Ireland.

However, there was a flaw in what became known as 'Grattan's Parliament' in that no ministerial responsibility lay in Dublin. The Renunciation Act had not solved Ireland's political problems and independence remained nominal.

An RTÉ News reports on 16 April 1982.